22 November 2005

The first hint of winter

It’s cold as a brass monkey’s balls, especially at home. Apparently, I’ve forgotten some bloody anniversary, birthday or critical event.

Since there’s no sense in going home right now, I stopped at a new bar. I thought I’d like the place. As I walked in, the bartender poured a beer and a whiskey and placed it in a vacant spot.

I grabbed the beer and took a long pull. “Cold as a tax collectors heart out there.” I said to the fellow on my right.

He just grunted. I took another long swallow.

“It’s the damn jet stream coming down from Canada….” He looked at me like I’m some sort of alien. I finished the beer.

“A lot of moisture is coming up the coast; it looks like we’re in for a Nor’-Easter. A bit early for that.” I said, trying to draw a spark. Nothing.

Screw him, then. I wasn’t about to hang out with the unfriendly prick. I whacked the shot and left.

As I walked towards the door, someone took my vacant seat.

“Who was that guy you were talking to?” He asked the grump.

“Hell if I know.” Was the answer. “But the bastard drank your f#$%ing booze!”


And that's the way I likes it.